Metabolism is influenced by several factors, including:
- Age – metabolism decreases as you get older.
- Gender – Males usually have higher metabolism than women.
– There are also genetic factors that determine the metabolism looks. A higher metabolism means that the body burns calories faster, making it easier to lose weight. Age, sex and genetic inheritance are of course impossible to influence, but there are other ways that you can naturally increase your metabolism.
1. Drink water. Body needs water to process calories in the food, if you are dehydrated, your metabolism may decline. To drink really cold water with ice burns slightly more calories because your body has to use energy to heat it up.
2. Build muscles. Muscles burn more calories than fat and the more muscle you have the more calories your body burns, even at rest. Strength training 2-3 times a week can be a great way to increase metabolism.
3. Eat more protein. Muscles burn more calories than fat and protein in every meal helps build and maintain muscle mass. Aim to eat about 30 grams of protein, equivalent to about 100 grams of chicken at every meal.
4. Physical activity. If you exercise at least 30 minutes, the metabolism increases for up to 24 hours afterwards. High-intensity training produces a greater and longer increase but any physical activity helps to increase metabolism. For example, take the stairs instead of the elevator, walk to the store instead of taking the car or take a long walk as it all helps.
5. Strong food. Spicy foods contain substances that increase the metabolism. A tablespoon of chopped red or green chili peppers can increase metabolism by 20%. The effect only lasts for about 30 minutes, but if you eat spicy food, it can often make the difference.
6. Eat more often. A long time between meals lowers your metabolism because the body then starts to save energy. Instead, eat 5-6 smaller meals per day, every 2-3 hours. Smaller but more meals not only increases your metabolism but also stabilizes blood sugar and helps to avoid large portions later in the day.
7. Do not skip breakfast. Most important goal of the day. When you wake up in the morning, the body has been without food for 8-9 hours or more. If you do not eat breakfast your body will lower your metabolism to conserve energy and begin to store more fat.
8. Drink coffee and tea. Caffeine in coffee and tea can boost metabolism for a few hours.
9. Get enough sleep. Try to get 7-8 hours of sleep each night. Research has shown that people who do not get enough sleep are more likely to gain weight. In addition, built up muscles during sleep and as mentioned previously, helps muscles increase metabolism.
10. Avoid alcohol. Alcohol lowers your metabolism and also contains a large amount of calories.
11. Avoid stress. it can be hard to avoid stress, but there are ways to manage it better. Stress increases levels of cortisol in the blood, which lowers metabolism.